January 29, 2008

Signs, Portents, and Little White Stickers

Remember that scene in Time Bandits when the giant creator's head was chasing them shouting, "RETURN WHAT YOU HAVE STOLEN"? Now picture the frozen noggin of Walt Disney saying it in the voice of a certain immortal/undead rodent.

I really like getting used books from Amazon. You can save a lot off the retail price and, so far, I've had great luck with regards to the condition of the books.

Last week I ordered Designing Virtual Worlds by Richard A. Bartle. Mr. Bartle famously co-wrote the first MUD. It arrived yesterday and I saw this sticker on the contents page:Interesting, eh? I sent Mr. Bartle an email and some scans which he added to his blog. He was even kind enough not to mention what a cheap bastard I was for buying it used.

I just hit chapter two and, so far, it is an excellent and entertaining read -- especially for someone like me that grew up on text adventure games and then bounced around MMORPG's.

No comments: